Moving home is a BIG undertaking and can be extremely stressful, especially if you are unsure of where to start and what to do. The best piece of moving advice we can offer you is BE PREPARED!
With over 40 years experience helping families and couples move home, we have written a list of our top tips to help your move go smoothly.
- Decide on a moving date once the papers are signed and book a removals company as soon as possible.
- Hire professional cleaners to thoroughly clean your new house prior to the move, you won’t want to be having to spring clean your new home before you have to unpack!
- Try to have a clear out before your move, we all collect unnecessary items over the years – ebaying or donating all these items will make the move easier.
- Arrange for someone to look after the children and pets for the day of the move – and ensure that pets have ID tags with your new address on.
- Collect all the keys to your current home that you may have left with friends, family and neighbours to give your your estate agent or solicitor.
- Advise the post office to redirect your post, cancel the milk and newspaper delivery.
- If you are moving to a new area – make sure the the family gets registered with a new GP.
Don’t forget to let the following know you are moving:
- Telephone and Internet service providers
- TV licensing
- Bank or building society, pension provider and any loan providers
- Legally you must inform DVLA to renew your driving license
- Credit/Store Card providers
- Inland Revenue
- Local Council for tax purposes
- Magazine/Charity Subscriptions
- Children’s schools
- Friends, family and colleagues.
The day of the move
- Read the meters and check that the phone, security alarm, electricity, gas, central heating and water work in your new home.
- Consider getting the locks changed – you don’t know who the previous owners gave keys too!
- Ensure all fixtures included in the sale are in the house – if anything is missing inform your solicitor immediately
- Even if everything did run smoothly – you are bound to be knackered to order in a takeaway, get your feet up and relax!
These are just a few top tips to help facilitate your move, if you are interested in our moving services or require further advice on moving home